Leading a Competency-Based Elementary School
The Marzano Academies Model (Become a High-Performing Elementary School Through Competency-Based Education)
Robert J. Marzano, Brian J. Kosena
Transition from a traditional school to a high reliability organization that ensures students master academic, cognitive, and metacognitive skills and knowledge. Rooted in decades of research, this valuable guide outlines how K-5 leaders can implement an effective competency-based education system. You'll employ 16 leading indicators to measure your school's high reliability status and discover a process to create and address lagging indicators based on collected data.
Use this book to implement competency-based education in elementary school:
- Understand why competency-based education drives school effectiveness and school improvement.
- Discover how to shift from traditional practices to competency-based learning and data-driven instruction.
- Review 16 school-level indicators implemented by Marzano Academies schools.
- Learn how to collectively monitor student learning and respond to lagging indicators.
- Receive and adapt research-based strategies and tools to address your school's specific needs.
Chapter 1: Indicators That Address the Psychological, Social, and Emotional Context of the School
Chapter 2: Indicators That Address Competency-Based Instruction
Chapter 3: Indicators That Address Curriculum
Chapter 4: Indicators That Address Structural Changes in the Way Schools Run
Chapter 5: Leadership for Second-Order Change
References and Resources